Thursday 3 November 2011

Back to the Future...?

Rob Stanson, our first 'Henry V - Lion of England'

It's a bit depressing realising that I'm going back 20 years. Next year it will be 20 years since I presented 'Teechers' and 'Henry V - Lion of England' at the mac in Birmingham. I booked three nights but didn't have the guts to put my Henry on for all three nights so my mate directed the Godber classic. And now I'm doing it again, but this time in London.

Us, at the launch of
A Ghost of A Chance.
It has occurred to me though that every time I've written something, things happened. 'Henry' has toured and went the the USA. A Ghost of A Chance not only attracted some stellar creatives, it also won the Guinness Award through the National Theatre. PALS became our local hit, going from nothing to sell out runs in the space of a few weeks. And this time I'm producing in London, arguably the world capital of the arts.

Ed Morris, the latest
 Henry V - Lion  of England.
Contemplating my return to Pub Theatre!
So maybe its not too depressing going back a bit. John Lennon said about the Beatles reforming, "you can't reheat a soufflé." No you can't John, but maybe you can cook another one and try and make it tastier. So 2012 will be a big year and nothing to do with the Olympics, because I'm gonna write me next new play and see what happens. I'm shall try a similar approach to PALS. PALS was in my head for about five years and this new one, Ron and Juliet, has been around for a similar time. It's due in July. And talking of the Olympics, it has a five-a-side footy match in the second half... Game On!

No comments: