Monday 30 May 2011

On Yer Bike.


I returned to biking later in life when I started to see signs for cycle routes as I was driving around Birmingham in my car. I presented a radio breakfast show so had few traffic problems. But the signs made me think about bikes, so I bought a cheapy one from Halfords, Kings Heath. Not the best move. I had to take it back 3 times as the pedals kept coming loose! But don't let that put you off. A trip to a proper bike shop solved the problems.
The first time I did cycle the 7 miles to the studio – up a big hill – it took me nearly an hour. But I'd make the effort once a week.  The start of the journey was through the rather lovely Cannon Hill Park.  Sun shining, birds singing, mugggers mugging...  During the summer it gradually dawned on me that I quite liked being in the fresh air, so I started cycling two or three times a week.  Within 12 months, the hour ride magically became 20 mins. I also lost 5 stone! And I was unexpectedly overcome with a very strange feeling of well-being after a ride…
Cycling is an almost organic experience after years of being cooped up in cars and public transport. If you’re new to the idea, give it a go. It really will effect your outlook on life. I’m discovering London now. I no longer present a breakfast show and London doesn't have Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham, but it does have the River Thames.  Which as you can see from the picture below, is rather nice!



No comments: