Saturday 5 April 2008

My Wireless life



When I started this blog it was supposed to be about how the Maverick Theatre Company progressed, but one of the progressions of the MTC is that it now has its own website and blog. When I started this, it hadn't. So I think I may make this more personal, perhaps. Or at least as personal as you can on the www.

I've had lots of emails about me on the radio, so I thought I might give a quick run down here about the start of my occasional, much loved career. With occasional pictures!

This pic, above, is me outside the studios of what was Radio Thamesmead, in about 1977 ish. I've obviously not changed much...!

Left school with CSE's - on my estate you had two choices of career - British Leyland (Rover) or, if you were tall, the Police who were fairly desperate and badly paid in the 70's. I was tall. I lasted about a year.

Worked as a dispatch rider/tea boy/junior copywriter for Moore Associates in Hall Green.

Aged 17 I met and lived with a woman who was 39 and had two kids, the eldest 15! An interesting time that lasted a couple of years. Then, for emotional reasons, I had to get out of Birmingham!

Secured a job as a residential social worker in South London.

Looking for a hobby, I offered to help the local scouts (they never got back to me) or start a band (difficult because I worked shifts) before I finally, on the advice of a colleague, went to Radio Thamesmead as a volunteer.

In a month I ended up doing the breakfast shows under the name Nick Mobbs - because I'd have mobs of people around. I'd leave the doors open and see who came in. Characters included The Pub Singer (later used in a similar incarnation on a national station!) and Morph The Thing, someone who used to grunt poetry for kids. I think you had to be there...

There you go. That's how things started. Fascinating innit! Or maybe not...

Off down the dole now. See if they've got any radio jobs.

1 comment:

Mr Brilliant said...

Always wanted to know how the glittering Nick Hennegan radio career started. Can we have another instalment please? Maybe early days at BRMB next? Mr B