Saturday 1 December 2007

Contracts, contracts everywhere...

A bit of a panic this week. And as usual it's lack of dosh. Although it's not a blind panic, because if I can get through to February, the income from Henry should pay for itself. But there are some outstanding bills from creating the show that should have been paid by now and haven't been. As usual, I'm having to fund Maverick Theatre myself and the unexpected lack of income from my failed London contract has left me short, to say the least. It's not nice to be back in the place I found myself during the Billesley Pub Theatre days - broke and constantly begging favours and forgiveness.
So as usual, I try not to dwell on the unpleasant and focus on what I can do about it. I actually have a three year plan that should make Maverick a fairly major player in UK theatre. But it all depends on having the money to allow me to execute that plan. I've done a business plan, which has drawn wry, sympathetic smiles from the odd business type I've shown it to. I look at some of my urbane Oxbridge mates and decide to once again blame my council estate roots and upbringing. It's a useful device, being a scrag end in a world of prime steaks!
I decide to read my interview in Arts Report again. It was conducted on-line, but it's not vanity that draws me to it. Not at all. But I noticed when I first read it that the very form of being interviewed by a proper journalist makes me feel somehow proper. Not some stupid aging git with wild, pointless ideas sitting at a computer in the back room of a scruffy house in Brum, but a 'real' person, with a real career, living a full life. There. I feel better already. Now to return to my 'career' and the pile of contracts I've not yet returned for the Spring tour of Henry V - Lion of England.

And talking of interviews, here's one that appeared in the Brighton Argus about Henry. I'm not too sure about the kids thing, but Henry's always been attractive (and occasionally scary) to the young. And it's a great image of Ed. If you can't read it, I'll try and post a bigger copy on the website, www.mavericktheatre.co.uk





No comments: